Thursday, July 4, 2013

Uma Uma Ramen

First came across this ramen place on 8days (I think 8days has an awesome food column). So this ramen place is kinda cozy and simple with an overall black theme. It just feels like one of those really authentic ramen places rather than those with more elaborate interiors like Ippudo and Menya Musashi. Ippudo is really up there in terms of interior design which also possibly explains its rather up there prices. Going back to Uma Uma Ramen, they are really considerate towards their customers by having white plastic baskets in which you can place your bags which saves you the hassle from placing it on your lap and having it obstruct your guts.



Unlike some ramen places with an assortment of condiments to add to your bowl of ramen, Uma Uma Ramen only provide those red pickled ginger slices which may possibly be a move to have customers taste their broth in their purest states. Rather than choosing the original Tonkotsu broth ramen, I chose their newly launched ramen called the Bushi Tonkotsu Ramen ($16). AND OHHHH MYYYYY GOSHHHH, I'm so in love with the broth!!! For a bowl of the Bushi Tonkotsu Ramen, you get a flavoured egg, charsiu, bamboo shoots, chopped onion, red ginger and a slice of lime. I think the greatest thing they did was to add the chopped onions and that slice of lime. Chopped onions gave the soup a mild sense of sweetness and a tiny refreshing crunch factor while that slice of lime really just reminded me of dobin mushi ( Japanese seafood broth that comes in a teapot). The soup was so refreshingly sweet and flavourful, nothing like your usual sinfully rich tonkotsu broth. I have no idea what they put in the soup because I thought I tasted something like konbu/kelp inside the soup too. And when I thought the soup really did it for me, I was taken aback when I tasted their charsiu which happens to be more than decent, in fact, it's pretty good. No overwhelming porky smell yet tender and nicely seasoned. You know how some charsiu are so tender and thin they kinda disappear in your soup (this is probably me but I swear sometimes my charsiu slices go missing)? Well, their charsiu was still existent after I finished the noodles. I think this Bushi Tonkotsu Ramen is really worth a visit down to Forum even though you're not a kid going there for the Toys R Us or some really affluent individual who adores luxury labels. And because Forum is clearly not the most popular mall on Orchard Road, there isn't too much of a crowd too. However, being not so crowded does have its disadvantages. Restaurants and shops in Singapore are opening and closing too soon. :( In order for me to enjoy another bowl of that ramen, please go down to visit this joint too! :)


  • 583 Orchard Road, Forum the Shopping Mall, #01-41/42/43
  • Singapore, Singapore 238884

-Cheryl

No comments:

Post a Comment