Saturday, March 2, 2013

Artistry

A relatively new cafe has slipped into the scene in the Kampong Glam area. Artistry is a cafe with an adjoining art gallery and I guess every now and then they have little exhibitions held in the cafe space too. The last time I was there, the theme of the exhibition was something about doomsday with reference to the Mayan's prediction of the world ending on 21 December 2012. Honestly, I thought the world ending seemed like an overly romantic idea and easy escape to life and its suffering which obviously won't come true because life has it's awful way of torturing us before we can go. That is what I think. But don't get me wrong, my life isn't that bad and it is actually something I am very grateful for. I just think that God or whatever supernatural power out there won't let humans get away that easily.



However, do note that this cafe does not offer a lot of tables. Instead, they have one long wooden table that resembles the table you see in Da Vinci's The Last Supper which means that you would probably have to share your table with many others if the place is crowded which is actually not that bad because it is a really really long table. Another small table with a sofa can be found at the side of the cafe nearer to the counter but I guess that is reserved for the early birds! There's also an al fresco section outside which can be nice if the weather is breezy. And having fresh flower arrangements on the tables is definitely a nice personal touch.

And on to the food! They serve locally roasted Liberty Coffee and some pastries and cakes. I'm guessing their pies are from Windowsill Pies. Windowsill Pies are really good, bought two of the pies the last time I was at Saveur. Recently, Windowsill Pies opened their own cafe in the up and coming hip neighbourhood of Jalan Besar. Will do a review of that when I can find time to pop by that place. And so... back to Artistry's food. I had the latte and poppy seed cake that day. As you can see from above, the poppy seed cake came with a blob of lemon curd. The lemon curd was a nice addition as it definitely adds a kick of citrus tang to the subtle-tasting cake. Personally, I like the tiny pop pop effect of poppy seeds but I don't know is it just me imagining the popping effect or they really do give that sort of sensation. Latte was also pretty good but I'm not a huge coffee drinker to be honest so I'll probably opt for the tea the next time.

With more than decent food and drinks, Artistry would be a good choice when you're looking for some place to chill that allows you to soak up artistic vibes. No art history knowledge required! And nope, not all art works require you to work up your imaginative and interpretive juices as some of them proved to have a humourous side to them as well so it's really accessible and understandable stuff. ;)

P.S. You need to go to their toilet. Very awesome stuff. Nuff' said.

17 Jalan Pinang, Singapore
Tue-Sun: 10am-7pm
www.artistryspace.com

-Cheryl

No comments:

Post a Comment