Saturday, November 10, 2012

Maison Ikkoku

Hello people!

It's been awhile since we posted anything and that's largely because we're suffering from endless deadlines/quizzes/preparation of upcoming exams (but seriously we have no time for this because of the first two things mentioned). On top of all this, I still have my final year project. D: So here I am to give a review on Maison Ikkoku simply because I'm stuck on my assignment.

So Maison Ikkoku is located in the Kampong Glam enclave (you should know this from your learning journey if you're a Singaporean kid). It's housed in a three-storey shophouse which includes a cafe on the first floor, clothing/accessories shop on the second floor and a bar on the top floor. As the clothing shop is largely catered to guys and the bar only opens at night, I haven't really had a chance to visit those two. So this review would be strictly on the cafe. :) As for the interior, it's really clean and industrial-chic with bare concrete floors and white bricked walls. There are also gravity-defying furniture hung on the walls which was really an interesting touch.


They also sell some coffee-making equipment. Great for those coffee connoisseurs!  


This was the roast beef sandwich. I guess you can't really see much of the content itself. It's was pretty okay I guess. And on weekdays, you get a drink when you order a sandwich which explains my accompanying iced lemon tea above. :) I love the salad though. Nice greens paired with Japanese sesame salad dressing. 


Had the red velvet cake too but personally, I just thought it kinda tasted like butter cake with cream cheese. Texture of the cake was rather moist but the absence of the taste of chocolate just made me think it wasn't exactly a red velvet cake but a red butter cake? 



During my second visit there, I had the taro cheesecake. The taro cheesecake really tasted like a lighter version of orh nee (the traditional yam paste dessert). So if you like orh nee you'll definitely like this too. They also serve less conventional cafe food items like their special pork bun (which is actually kong bak pau) and this spam sushi/onigiri thing that originated from Hawaii. Haven't tried those two but might give them a try on my next visit! :) And for those who love brunch, they serve all-day breakfast on weekends. I saw people ordering their brunch items, and it looks really good. Gonna go try it myself soon! :)

Overall, I guess this is a pretty cool place to chill out. And this is especially so when I love the music they play in the background. Most of the time it's a mix between jazz and indie tunes. Definitely a spot to consider when you're in the bugis area. ;) 

20 Kandahar Street Singapore 198885
Tel: +65 6294 0078
http://www.maison-ikkoku.net/

-Cheryl


No comments:

Post a Comment