Monday, December 17, 2012

The Kings of Convenience - Soirée de Poche #11

I have a lot of favourite bands and yes, I do love them all very much. But the band that is most played in my ipod and itunes is definitely Kings of Convenience. I can't even tell you in words how much I love them. The very first time I heard about them was in 2005 when the music video of I'd Rather Dance with You was playing on mtv. It was almost like love at first sight, but in this case it should be love a first sound? I totally enjoyed how they manage to blend acoustic sounds with a slightly bossa nova beat that was all so soothing and yet very bright and happy. And not long later, I saw the tv playing the video of Misread and that just totally confirmed my love for them. All I had to do next was just to google and get in touch with all their other songs. Their second album was my first album of theirs which I received as a birthday present. I think I listened to it like a trillion times already and if walkman was still the only portable type of music player existing at that time, my cd would have thinned out and it would have been imperative for me to get another copy of their album. I love how they can have songs that gets you all nostalgic/emotional/sad/mellow and also songs that get you all happy/dancey/peaceful (in a way that it leaves a slight smile on your face). 

I missed their concert the first time they came because I was young and it was hard to convince anyone to go with me. But I managed to go for their concert they second time they came and I managed to sit all the way at the front. :D I was so happy that I finally get to see them live in person that I was secretly shaking in my seat. All those years of watching their live videos on youtube, I finally get to see them in person and breathe the very same air and listen to the exceptionally beautiful music that they make. Kings of Convenience is one of those bands that can make you listen intently in your chair and listen to them blend their two voices harmoniously and watch the intricate work they do on their guitars. The chemistry between the two of them is astoundingly amazing. Every strum and every harmony just comes together perfectly. Despite being outstanding performers in the rather acoustic sense, they are also one of those few bands which can make acoustic music come alive just like any awesome rock concert! I think this largely has to do with the stage presence and charm that Erlend Oye has. All the dancing and the singalong really makes you all high and ecstatic. During those very moments, I become extremely fangirly and secretly hope that Erlend Oye would pick me as his dance partner and give me a great hug later.

Posted this video of them doing the soiree de poche series for la blogtheque. You need to watch them to know how good they are. This is even more obvious when they are performing in such a small and intimate venue and at the very end when they do Free Fallin', their rockstar quality would come shining through.

If I had to die listening to one band. It would be the Kings of Convenience. Simply because they are like what they sing in Homesick, "two soft voices, blended in perfection".  

-Cheryl

No comments:

Post a Comment