Wednesday, August 1, 2012

A Sunday Afternoon at Tiong Bahru (Open Door Policy, Tiong Bahru Bakery, Books Actually)

So last Sunday, my friends and I decided to have brunch at Open Door Policy located in Tiong Bahru. We walked there from Tiong Bahru MRT station and thank goodness it wasn't difficult to find and the weather was awesome too!


I am not as good as Cheryl when it comes to describing food but here's my two cents' worth. :) We ordered the wild mushroom risotto with truffle crumbs ($22), 48 hour cooked braised beef cheek ($29), smoked salmon and scrambled eggs ($21) and chocolate and pistachio souffle ($15) to share and the amount of food was really sufficient for four of us.


The risotto under the mains menu is creamy and cheesy, but I found it a tad too salty and might get jelat after awhile. Anyway I just realised I did not see/taste any truffle crumbs at all. As for the highly raved beef cheek, I did not try or take any photo as I'm not a beef lover haha. My friend who tried it said it's tender and soft, but has a raw taste which she doesn't like. Another who ate the carrots said it tasted like chlorine (yes, chlorine?! hahaha). Two of them barely finished it.


Whoop whoop, the smoked salmon and scrambled egg under the brunch menu was deeeelicious and it's the best out of everything we ordered! Really huge portion and the four of us ate a lot of it. There were two slices of toast below it, which tasted awesome with the egg and salmon. However I find that the salmon had a raw taste too which I did not really like but it was still bearable. The scrambled eggs were watery as well, yummy! :)



It was my first time trying a souffle so I was so amazed when the waiter cut a cross at the top of the 'foam' and pour milk into it because I thought it was really just solidified foam. Lol. So my friends started digging into this dessert and suddenly the top layer which looks like the top layer of those pandan sponge cake was gone. Quoting Cheryl when I told her about this, it was almost like eating air. Hahahaha funny but true. The bottom is like a mint green coloured egg custard, which tasted like pistachio on the first bite but subsequently it tasted more like egg tart with chocolate powder. It's also very small, we waited for like 15 minutes and finished it within one minute? Haha. A tad too pricey for something like that I think.





The ambience was good too with natural light shining in and rustic interiors, perfect for a lazy Sunday afternoon. However, I find the rusty metal chairs a little uncomfy and inconvenient as I couldn't place my bag at the back of the chair. :( Anyway, it would be good to go with more friends as you get to try more dishes and split the bill especially since the prices are not exactly cheap. Our total bill was around $100 for three dishes and one dessert. Also, the four of us reserved the 1.45pm table but it wasn't very packed around that time. But of course, do reserve a table if you don't want to be disappointed! I think there is also a time limit of 2 hours dining time for each reservation which might not really be good for long gatherings and chill-outs. Overall, a nice bistro to check out. ;)

Open Door Policy
19 Yong Siak Street, Singapore 168650
Tel: +65 6221 9307 | http://www.odpsingapore.com/

-----

After the heavy brunch, we decided to explore around the area and there are so many cute cafes and stores near ODP, such as Fortyhands, Strangelets and Nana&bird. It's really hard to imagine that there are so many cool stuff hidden in this quiet street which is known to be the old people street. Also with the vacant roads and white old buildings, it is no wonder Tiong Bahru is becoming the cool street of Singapore now.

So anyway, we visited Books Actually and I really love how the bookstore is decorated. Can't exactly find a right word to describe it.. vintage? Indie? The books they sell are interesting too, and some are written by local authors. They also play really nice indie music, such as Bruises by Chairlift, which our very talented friend Cheryl introduced to me before. Haha. It's definitely a cool bookstore to check out.









I LOVE THIS BOOK!!! Every page has different drawing activities, such as the one shown below, where we are supposed to colour the nails. SO FUN!
  

Books Actually
No. 9 Yong Siak Street, Tiong Bahru Estate, Singapore 168645
Tel: +65 6222 9195 | http://www.booksactually.com/

-----

And of course, we went to Tiong Bahru Bakery too! It was rather packed so we bought home our bread. ^^



I didn't know what to buy, so I just bought two plain croissants ($2.50 each) to share with my sister. I heard the chocolate tart is nice but I think it would be better to eat it there in case it melts on the way home. My friend also recommended the squid ink bread but it was sold out by the time we were there. Anyway the croissant is huge and delicious!! It's abit oily though but I think croissants are supposed to be like that right? It's also different from the usual croissants as it doesn't shatter easily after each bite and you can just eat it layer by layer. :) Even my sister who doesn't care much about food asked me to come back to buy for her. Haha. Would definitely go earlier next time and eat there! They will be opening one more bakery in Raffles City soon, so much more convenient!


Tiong Bahru Bakery
56 Eng Hoon Street #01-70, Singapore 160056
Tel: +65 6220 3430 | http://www.tiongbahrubakery.com/

That's all for now! If you haven't already done so, do visit this cool HDB estate soon! ;)

Till then,
Liwee :)

No comments:

Post a Comment